Military Man Removed from Obama’s Inauguration for Holding Distressed Flag

By on January 23, 2013
us-flag-upside-down-370x229

by Angel Clark

President Obama had his inauguration on Monday, with supporters lining up before dawn to hear him speak. Plenty of news sources are talking about what President Obama discussed during his speech, very few are sharing what happened in the crowd. One man, a military man wearing his uniform, quietly protesting President Obama, was removed from the crowd.

It was noticeable from afar, a large American flag hung upside down, underneath the American flag hung a large Culpeper flag. The Culpeper flag is a white flag with a large snake curled in the middle, the words “liberty or death” and “don’t tread on me” are visible on the flag. It is a flag that has become synonymous with the Tea Party in the last few years. The American flag, or any flag hanging upside down, is considered aninternationally recognized sign of distress. With his flags, this man was stating boldly and quietly, that the nation is in distress at the second inauguration of President Obama.

The man in his military attire was approached by the police and escorted away. A bystander contacted Breitbart – One Voice Silenced, Millions Awakened, and gave a firsthand account of what happened:

“I first noticed the distress flag maybe a half hour before he was asked to leave- I am going to estimate about 0930, my picture files have time I transferred them, not the time I took them.

I tried to get closer to him, but the crowd was too thick. We were in the second tranche of the non-ticketed area, you can see the National Museum of the American Indian behind him as he is being escorted way, for reference.

He was pretty much dead center as you look across the mall (I was on the north edge of the crowd). Not long after I took the first picture of the flags in the distance he was able to move forward a good bit, maybe 50 yards or so.

The crowd was very dense, so I am not sure how he managed that. He stayed in the new location until the police escorted him out. He marched, and I mean marched, out of the crowd with the flags held high.

As soon as they got him into the strip between the tranches he lowered the flags, I am assuming here that they made him do that and there was simply no room in the crowd to do so sooner. That’s when I moved to the barrier and took the photos.

He was speaking to the police, conversationally, and they were answering the same way. I did not see them touch him at all. The only bit of conversation I heard was one of the police directing him to leave.”

Many have expressed anger that this man’s right to free speech was violated.

Image Reference

About Admin

8 Comments

1. Tai Mai Shu

January 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Of course his rights were violated, our constitution means shit if the politicians, military and police do not uphold their oath.

• Rachel

January 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Heck, I’m an Obama supporter and I still feel that this mans rights to freedom of speech were violated. I many not like the message, but I’ll defend to the death his right to speak! This is just horrible.

• Ron

January 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm

As a citizen you are quite right but, you have to remember he is a soldier. This means he may not speak, act or in any way do or say anything disparaging about your commander and chief. So, he is not allow my the military code of justice to fly the american flag upside down with out having direct orders from a superior to do so. If someone who was not in the military did the exact same thing, and then was asked to leave, that would be a violation of their free speech. What most Americans do not know is that once you join the military one of your first freedoms to go is your right to free speech and the right to congregate in a peaceful manner.

2. Lisa

January 23, 2013 at 2:11 pm

stand for what you believe* stand for what you* know and not what you were told!

3. randy

January 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Obama revised HR 347 which now makes it illegal to protest in his presence or in the presence of anyone under the guard of secret service.

4. ToriGee

January 24, 2013 at 12:17 am

Wait a minute, you mean that I have the right as an American to send a distress signal without any reason to do so because it’s protected under freedom of speech? Why did I get arrested for making all of those 911 calls, then? Or calling “Fire!” in a crowded theater?

• BigD

January 24, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Because you endangered people moron! This protest endangered no one, but then your libtard mind will never recognize the difference because you refuse to see reality.

5. Esther Sch

January 24, 2013 at 12:37 am

Reminds me of the time when Ray McGovern was removed and brutalized“during Hillary Clinton`s speech – for peacefully demonstrating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqE6nTQd-as