- FISA Court Colludes with NSA to Allow Unconstitutional SurveillancePosted 1 year ago
- Ron Paul says U.S. Gov’t Considers its Citizens to be the EnemyPosted 1 year ago
- U.S. Officials don’t know how much Secret Material Snowden TookPosted 1 year ago
- Nancy Pelosi: We Should Give up Liberty for Security, Snowden a Criminal – Booed by AudiencePosted 1 year ago
- US Officials Leave 700 Troops in Jordan, Patriot Missiles and Fighter Jets – Escalation of Syrian WarPosted 1 year ago
- If Obama Wants No More Snowdens, He Should Stop Spying and Assassinating, Says WikiLeaksPosted 1 year ago
- EFF Sues NSA, DOJ Over Secret Surveillance ProgramPosted 1 year ago
- Yahoo Was Reportedly Forced to Join PRISM By a Secret CourtPosted 2 years ago
- the Organic Review: Final Verdict for Raw Milk Farmer – $1,000 Fine & No Jail TimePosted 2 years ago
- US Deepens Fight in Syria; Many Skeptical of Chemical Weapons, Ron Paul says Same Rhetoric as IraqPosted 2 years ago
Evanston, IL Passes Resolution Against Warrantless Drone Spying
On May 28, the city of Evanston, Illinois became the third U.S. city to pass a resolution against the use of unmanned drones for warrantless surveillance.
The City of Evanston establishes a moratorium on the use of drones in the City of Evanston in the absence of reasonable state and federal regulation of the use of drone technology which will expire without further action by the City Council two years from the date of this resolution; with the following exemptions:
Exceptions include hobby model aircraft and experimental aircraft not associated with the Department of Defense.
The resolution also expresses support for state efforts to restrict drone use. In fact, the Illinois legislature recently passed a bill doing just that, and it awaits the governor’s signature.
The city’s action is notable. Northwestern University is located in Evanston. As an Ivy League school, Northwestern attracts students, faculty and guests from all over the world. As a university, it is very reliant upon the federal government to provide research grants, to set-up research facilities, and it receives Title 8 funding for students. Northwestern is a major force in the Evanston community, and contributes greatly to the local economy. One can only imagine the pressure exerted on these city council members.
REUTERS/Erik De Castro